Thursday 27 September 2012

ITs been a YEAR!!!


We are again in October, a year latter in a few days from now and realised nothing much changed...not even me- the old me.
Did a piece on ICT and culture URL: www.iimahd.ernet.in/egov.ifip and it was more of my confusion with myself. Came across OER Asia space due to FB posting of my friend Dr Jayashree Shinde and thought of pasting few ideas.
What is education mean to large majority in India? At a public university that i am part of every alternate days i meet a parent or a GIRL student who looks at the degree with the essentiality to marry and settle. Met a girl other day at Mumbai University who told me that she is under depression- that too as an execuse of dissetation viva that i was assessing as an extenal expert. Having realised that everyone except me were of the opinion that she should pass, including her guide who had to an extended not done his job, the remark that i was told was that you have made her marriage possible!!!!
If ICT is just to fill in this gap of giving degrees, why not do it as mass enterprise.
We would be able to make many peoples jobs easier including mine. As a postgraduate full0time teacher, lot of my energy in the face-to-face class environment goes in making sure that the student does her job- that of studying!!
Personally i do not allow slipping below a point and after all their efforts to 'pass' through me  that i recognise and do not allow, they give up and finish their job as they realise that i am not letting them go......which is what they want to do. Get out with minimum effort!!
ICT atleast puts the onus on them....so, after a year and not much of application of ICT in HE TOT am signing off this piece with the hope that ICT will make my life and their (my students life) easier. 

No comments: