Saturday 14 June 2014

MOOC made me mook....


Did two MOOC (Massive Open Online Courses) from Coursera.org in last six months. The experience was interesting not exceptional. The reason I did it because everyone was talking about it so wanted to go on the other side and check it out. Two courses I COMPLETED and three I left over the period of six months!!! Apart from what I had experienced as IGNOU student way back in 1992-1994 (offline non-internet era) for doing my second Masters degree in managing Distance Education programme, this was more of global connect- much faster, much larger n much deeper. What I noticed doing them was whatever the nature of interaction, Indians have a pattern to their presentation. WE want to be nice, polite and politically correct OR we want to be opinionated, aggressive or shallow. We can the power of analysis may be because as a tribe we tend to make emotions out of non-emotional situations!!! The technology is a mere means and cant be treated as an end for reaching out. Unless I know what I want out of interaction- it may be pure pleasure of being connected to more complex selfish motives or malaise intentions- I see no purpose in the process. I did MOOCs because I wanted to know where the world is going but it became difficult to keep the pace with the expectations and at some point I could sympathise with my students who must be facing the same. There is so much to do and so little time and so many other duties in the physical world!!! Whatever it was the experience was worthwhile. IT helped expand the fence around the subject. It helped understanding the global discourse on higher education and communication education. Apart from content it helped in design. It helped me realise that online course is not only courseware but lot of hardware. Mere content does not help- its layout, presentation, structure, context, receivers - everything matters. More at some other time, could not help but vent at this time of the night. Also other day went through number of blogs by Shri Amitabh Bachchan (http://srbachchan.tumblr.com/)and was amazed at the continuity and flow and personalisation of the space. Technology can connect!!! Was fascinated with the material as a media teacher and researcher. MOOC and AB Blog made me MOOK (that's speechless in Indian bhasha- language).

No comments: